My life as a first year health studies student at the University of Waterloo

My life as a first year health studies student at the University of Waterloo.

Pages

Sunday 14 September 2014

Back to School

School has always been something that I loved, I remember being in elementary school and getting so excited at the end of summer to head to Staples and buy supplies for the upcoming year. Something about the feeling of a fresh start, as well as loving school, has always made me happy to head back to classes. The feeling hasn't changed throughout my time as a high school, and now a university student. But it was last night between the excitement of picking out what to bring and wear to the first day of class when I realized something - I have no idea what university learning is going to be like.

When I walked into my first lecture this morning I knew that university lectures would be far off the familiar setting that I have grown to love. Desks and chairs with posters lining the sides of the chalkboard were traded for an auditorium sitting several hundred students and a stage for our professor; "there are 1400 students taking this course" was one of the first sentences she said. So for people who feel that they are going to stand out in university on the first day just by having your textbooks and iClicker tucked neatly in your bag... Think again.

In some ways I feel I will enjoy the  changes that the university class settings will bring; with so many students in a course there will always be somebody who you can ask for help.  University is also set up with numerous resources for students - study groups, meetings with TA's, tutorials and tutoring sessions are all available if you need assistance with classes (and workshops are always going on to help build good study habits).

Being a university student is going to be an adjustment in many ways, but I look forward to embracing the changes and working to love my journey at a student.
Happy back to school everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment