My life as a first year health studies student at the University of Waterloo

My life as a first year health studies student at the University of Waterloo.

Pages

Wednesday 3 September 2014

Moving In...



Move in day was one of the things I was most anxious about when planning for university. Other than a packing list and the time that I should arrive at my residence there wasn’t a lot of information provided about the move in process which, as someone who likes to know exactly how things are going to happen, made me nervous. However, I am now sitting on my bed in REV and I have to say while moving into residence was an emotionally overwhelming day, (filled with goodbyes, meeting new people, and trying to fit all my clothes into the closet,) it was not disorganized at all.  

There was a team of student volunteers who unloaded all my things while I went to the front desk and got my room key. By the time I was back everything was ready to be moved up to my room. All the upper year students helping saved me and my parents many trips up and down the stairs which was great. My mom and dad stayed and we got all of my things straightened out, and when they left I spent some time putting up pictures and decorating to make my half of the room feel more like home.

One tip that I have for anybody who is staying in a double room (like me) is to talk to your roommate and plan when each of you are each coming so you don’t show up at the same time. The rooms are not small but they definitely would feel that way with two sets of parents, bags, suitcases, you and your roommate.  
 
Here is a little tour of my new room, it is not as big as I am used to but I have to say there is a lot of storage and I am happy with the way it looks!
One of my favourite parts of the room is the side of the closet door, it is one large cork board that you can decorate and hang up lots of pictures!
Adding decorations made the brick wall room seem more welcoming and cheery.
There is a lot of space under the bed so make sure you buy an under the bed container to make use of all the places for storage (if you are like me not all of your clothes will fit in the closet).
Here is a photo of my closet, it is pretty much as big as the one I have at home, and has drawers that fit a lot of clothes. By organizing everything and bringing some storage boxes of my own I was able to fit a lot in here.
One big desk and lots of space above for school supplies (which is much needed based on the size of some of my textbooks)!

No comments:

Post a Comment